Beyond Imagination Fair
Four songs for tenor and piano
Poems by Walter de la Mare
commissioned by Tim Calloway for his fiancée Diana Wareing's 60th birthday 24 November 2006.
The Two Birds
A Little Hymn to Mary
Poem 16th century Anon.
For Edward Cline.
A Song for Birds
A cycle of five songs commissioned by the Worcester Three Choirs Festival (Elgar Commission) with funds from the Arts Council of Great Britain. First performed by Ian and Jennifer Partridge at the Countess of Huntingdon Hall, Worcester on 24
1. The Nightingale (Medieval Latin, translated by Fleur Adcock)
2. The Swan (Medieval Latin, translated by Fleur Adcock)
3. Town Owl (Laurie Lee)
4. Bird (Laurie Lee)
5. The Golden Oriole at the Monastery (Medieval Latin, translated by Fleur Adcock)
For Henry Wickham. Later incorporated in a revised version in the 'Song for Birds' above.
The Seal Boy
12th April 1985
Poem: George Barker.
Six Latin Lyrics
Six songs for counter tenor (or mezzo)
Words in the translations from the Latin by Helen Waddell and Robin Flower.
written for Stephen Carter in January 1983.
1. Thou hast come safely to port
2. Wine it is that gives life pleasure
3. By day mine eyes
4. To Gogo, that he can eat no more
5. To the Lady Radegunde, with violets
6. I and Pangur Ban, my cat
I will give my love an apple
21 December 1983
Words: Laurie Lee
For Susannah Kingsmill.
Not to You
20th September 1977
Poem: Stephen Spender